Our Waiter Tipped Us

This is Jarrin. Jarrin was our waiter at Monkeypod Kitchen in Ko Olina, HI and was phenomenal. HIs smile says all you need to know about his personality and ability. As Jarrin took our initial drink orders I noticed a photo in his waiter notebook. When he returned a I asked him if the photo was of his son. His eyes lit up and you could tell he was a proud father as he talked about his son Eli.

Jarrin said he keeps that picture in there to remind himself of why he does what he does when the days get hard. Jarrin then dropped a golden nugget of personal and leadership philosophy when he said “if you had $100 you wouldn’t hesitate to give away $10 but you wouldn’t have to give away the other $90. If someone ruins 10% of your day you don’t have to give them the other 90%.Wisdom.

Take a moment to think about how many times we let people have more than 10% of a space in your head. Have you ever given up more than 10% of that space to someone you probably shouldn’t have? I have. Let’s join Jarrin in working to make sure people don’t get into our 90%.


  • Keep pictures of who or what inspires you to remind you to keep moving forward.
  • Smile and be positive no matter what.
  • Share your story. Be proud of your story.

Here’s an additional lesson besides Jarrin’s wonderful analogy. Strike up conversations with those you come in contact with. You never know who you might meet, what you might learn and what they may inspire you with.

Thank You Jarrin. Blessings to you and your family. Mahalo.


Published by toddagordon

Currently in his 37th year in the education field. Currently the District Activities Director at Greene County Community Schools in Jefferson, Iowa. Celebrating 37 years of marriage with Deb. Deb works remotely as the Assistant Controller for Treynor (IA) State Bank. We have 3 kids, two son in laws, a daughter in law, two wonderful grandsons, Jonathan and Parker, and three lovely granddaughters, Mia, Madison and Faye. Nicole and Brett are parents to Jonathan and Madison, and are working in ministry in Urbandale, IA. AJ and Regan live in Waukee, IA. A.J. currently works for Thrivent after a few years coaching college basketball including winning a National Championship as an Assistant Men's Basketball Coach at Graceland University. Regan is a Kindergarten teacher with the Des Moines Public Schools at Hubbell Elementary School. Abby and Anthony are parents to Parker and Mia and they outside of Ogden, IA. Abby works as a Physical Therapy Assistant and Anthony works for a landscaping company.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: